Friday, December 3, 2010

Books

The day my grandson was born, I took him his first book and read it to him.  It was Dr. Seuss's The Places You'll Go.  Ever since then, I've been the Book Grandma, bringing him books for every occasion and sometimes just for the heck of it.  He has three book cases.

On Thanksgiving, I brought him the illustrated Hobbit I used to read to his father, but five year old Evan looked at the pictures and told me, "We do chapter books now." He meant his mother read him longer books these days.   I had to convince him that the Hobbit was indeed a chapter book.  He read the first paragraph to me, carefully sounding out the words.

So, we enter a new phase. My grandson is now literate and I must adapt accordingly.  I am scouring the bookstores for new titles.  Elizabeth and Colette, our local librarians, give me advice about not only chapter books, but easy readers. I took a stack out home this morning to peruse.  He will get the Guardians of Ga'Hoole.  I think he will like reading the Junie B. Jones, Elephant and Pig, and Captain Underpants series for easy readers.  He already has the Narnia series.  

The word has gone out to my friends.  I wait for more suggestions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment