Friday, November 19, 2010

Storytelling interrupted

It has been several years since I went out on a tour.  First and foremost, the theme has to fit.  Last year's theme was "Splash!" which meant the events had to do with water.  Our Muehl Public Library had water games in the back yard and the special event was a pool party at the aquatic center.   Splash! did not scream "Storytelling!"  That was a summer to go camping and work on writing projects.

Then there was my accidental stint on the Seymour City Council.

I am a serial voter. I figure I can only complain when I have voted, so I vote in every election from Presidential to school board.  In all my years as a voter, I've only missed five times, always minor elections and always because I was moving out of the areaa, and didn't feel I should have a say.

I am always annoyed when officials run for re-election unopposed.  I want a choice so after the third election when a council member was running unopposed, I threw my name in.  There was no charge,  I only needed 20 names on a form that I passed around  in church on Sunday.  I turned it in and forgot about it.  I never campaigned.  On election day, I voted for myself, thinking no one else would. That night, I got the call:  I won by one vote.

For two years, I had to stay put for the weekly council and committee meetings.  In the election last spring, I left my name on the ballot but campaigned for the other guy, and successfully lost.  Now I am free to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment