Sunday, November 21, 2010

Christmas is coming

The Seymour and Cicero United Methodists are having a joint advent concert in two weeks.  As choir director, I have to rehearse the singers on Sunday mornings before church and hold a longer rehearsal on Monday nights. As the pianist, I have to rehearse with soloists, musicians and the organist whenever we can find time.  As publicist, I write all the publicity, notify nearby churches, and design and put up posters.  As logistics come into it, I must organize ushers and figure out if we want a post-concert reception and if so, who will be manning the punch tables.  Every year I wonder why I am doing all this, then during the concert, I know why when those warm feelings rush over me.  It usually happens during the candlelight sing along when the entire audience joins the choir in the traditional hymns.  I look over at the choir in their blue robes and see tears in many eyes as they remember Christmases past.  It is schmaltz, I know, but we can't help it.  

This is much better than hearing music piped into stores during the Black Friday frenzy.


No comments:

Post a Comment