Thursday, November 21, 2013

Aging and Ailments

As the years pass, my body changes and not for the better.

Three weeks ago, I went to the doctor to have a growth of some kind removed from the back of my right arm.  It was in a place I couldn't see so I had no idea how long it had been there. It was hard so I didn't think it was a mole or at least a mole that was behaving as it should.

The nurse practitioner declared it to be a wart, but if so it was a wart that was not behaving as it was. Moles are a virus that usually appear on feet or hands.  How did this one wind up at the back of my arm. The nurse gave it a shot of something to freeze it and I thought that was that.

Then this morning, while taking a shower, I noticed that wart was back.  I was at the clinic office two hours later.  This time the doctor applied frozen nitrogen.  She told me to keep an eye on it, though that means a mirror.  I can't exactly see it otherwise. In another week, I'll have to call her because she said it wasn't acting like a wart.  So if the growth comes back, she'll do a biopsy.  

Just part of aging, I figure.

Besides the matter of a wart, I am drying up, inside and out. These days I have to apply lotion to my body every night to keep peeling skin at bay.  I have to apply ointment to my nose to keep bloody nose that put me in the emergency last year from happening again. My interior is not doing well either.  I drink lots and lots of hot water over the winter to aid digestion.

With all that, I am still healthy.  Everything is working.  I take no medications, over the counter or prescription ... except for an aspirin a day.  So other than warts and dry skin, I guess I am doing OK for a 69 year old woman.

Still, I figure I'd better keep on writing while I can.  



No comments:

Post a Comment