Wednesday, January 30, 2013

What a day!

I woke up to find the wind over and only puddles to show the wild storm during the night. I heard about it from the people around Grenada.  There had been problems with electricity.  I had to go to a second gas station to find one with working pumps.

I am discovering that mapquest.com has improved maps, and the directions aren't bad, but the time to a destination is way off, usually by at least an hour...and I have a lead foot when I drive.

Today, I gave myself five hours to get to Hattiesburg in time for a performance.I took one ten minute detour to Holmes State Park where I had thought of staying the night before, but storms made that impossible.  It looks like a charming park and only $13 a night for us elderly campers.  I picked up more information in case I ever get back and hit the road again.

After three hours of driving, I  saw the sign for Hattiesburg, 83 miles away. I had to skip stopping at Jackson to see Eudora Welty's house. She was a great short story writer, so I hated missing that.  Maybe on my way back up north.

I arrived just in a nick of time for my first performance in Mississippi.  Only four states to go.

It was a senior residence and the folks I told were with me every step of the way, laughing in all the right places and singing with me. One of the best performances yet.

Then I scurried away to try to get to my campground in time, making great time since everyone else was exceeding the speed limit, too.  I even got to the campground before the sun set, but there were trees down and the place was locked up.  Darn.  No camping tonight.

I went on to a McDonalds and checked out the Motel 6 website. It was getting too dark to find a campsite and set it up.  I would do that tomorrow.  I found a reasonable motel on the beach in Biloxi. It's new, built after Hurricane Katrina.

Here I am, right on the Gulf.  Tomorrow, I'll walk on the beach and see about finding another campground that is open.

One last thing.  When I arrived an older couple were at the back door. He seemed to have some kind of video recorder with him.  The fellow yelled at the woman I assumed was his wife, and then started in on me for not holding the door for him the right way.  I just figured he was tired from a long drive and thought no more about it. They went into a room two doors from mine.

About an hour ago I came upstairs from another trip down to my car.  Two policemen were at that couple's  door, guns drawn. They yelled then went in.  I stopped dead in my tracks and stayed down the hall, waiting and wondering what I should do, go on to my room, or skedaddle back downstairs. My curiosity kept me there. The police came out and saw me.

"Did you hear them arguing?" one of them asked.

"No."  The walls are well insulated here.

"Someone in there called 911.  But they packed up and left."

So now I wonder what all that was about.  I'm sure a short story will come out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment