Monday, November 12, 2012

New Goals

After thinking about yesterdays post, I realized I have been procrastinating on the books I mentioned and others, too.  Though I was able to finish Black Coffee Fiction with Wade, that is because of the constant deadlines of finishing short stories by the end of each week.  I had no deadlines on the books so they remained half finished.

Today I stopped off at Sissy's to talk to Sandy and Francine who are taking over the coffee shop from Donna and Pat.  They said they hoped I could arrange another book signing after they re-open.  This afternoon I reviewed all my projects.

The first is a novel that takes place in Great Britain from the northern part of Scotland down to London.  The working title is Going Down from Gairloch. It isn't the easiest of the bunch to finish up, but it is the best. I'm on the third and possibly final draft.  Today I finished editing Chapter 11.  Five more chapters to go, then I will turn it over to a couple of readers to see if the novel has a good flow. If it doesn't require another edit, it goes to press and should be in print form by the first of the year.

Next I will re-edit Yesterday's Secrets, Tomorrow's Promises.  It is already an e-book at Amazon.com but I want to do a quit re-edit and put my name on it.  That should take less than a week.  I hope to have a print version by mid-January.

Then comes Love Through the Decades, a series of short stories following the life of one woman through short stories in different points of view. I want that ready by February.

There are several other books I can work on after those.

I am working on a series of short stories about depressing Christmases.  I love Christmas but there are so many that don't,  so a few years ago, I began to write about them.  "The Rapture", the first story in Black Coffee Fiction is such a story. There are many more to come.

The Glen Valley Compact is a mystery I wrote during NaNoWriMo.  Though they liked the characters, my critique group told me they were able to figure out "whodunnit" by the third chapter. I should be able to fix that if I really work on it.

Finally, there are all the non-fiction books I could write.  Using this blog and newspaper columns I wrote, I could write a book about my Jake, our wonderful Australian shepherd, long gone but always remembered; travelogues about my trips to China, New Zealand and Australia; memories of childhood on a Wisconsin farm.

I have enough projects to keep me going for decades and I am already 68.  Best get hopping.

  -----
Check out the last two posts at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com
Bettyann Moore did a two part short story that is worth reading.  I knew her when she was editor of a publication like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment