Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 6 – Circle Tour – Rainbow Falls Provincial Park, west of Schreiber, Ontario


July 18

This post will be a day late since we never left Rainbow Falls Provincial Park yesterday. Why should we when we are in Paradise?

We are at the Rossport Campground, one of the two in the park. Gary and I explored the White Sands Lake Campground yesterday when we went over to photograph the falls. He briefly thought about moving over there today but I put my foot down. We've been traveling for days. Each time he sets up the campsite it takes three hours to set up and at least two hours to take down. (Unlike my tour last summer when I traveled alone and spent fifteen minutes setting up and fifteen minutes taking down. I take less “stuff”.)

We compromised and he moved us from site 32 to site 18, with me avoiding most of the work by reading at the shore. I approved because now our site is on the edge of Lake Superior. We are farther away from Highway 17, the Trans Canadian Highway and a railroad line. It isn't really any quieter at this site because the waves lap on the rocks but that is soothing “white noise”.

The Provincial Parks are inexpensive and lovely. We have showers, flush toilets and a laundromat. The neighboring campers are polite Canadians and most of them move on after one night. They all seem to be taking the Trans Canadian highway during their long vacations.

Today I talked to Marlene from New Brunswick. She and her husband were in Vancouver and are now returning home. Tomorrow they will leave Rainbow Falls. She told me that in their business they would like to purchase from the USA, but they need metric equipment and the USA still hasn't adapted. She and I complained about our pack rat men and all the stuff they bring along on trips and that they don't seem to want to stop for anything we would like to see.

My own thought is that in a year or two I could do another Canadian tour by myself, stopping wherever I want. I've been asked back by all my hosts so far, so it wouldn't be that difficult to arrange.

But today was heaven with Gary. We sat on the shore and watched the waves come in. We had the shoreline to ourselves until late this afternoon. When we got warm, we dashed into the frigid lake and cooled down pronto. I had hours to read, finishing two books in one day.

Tonight we'll watch the sunset then light our campfire.

So apologies for missing a blog. I'll try to post two tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment