Friday, July 20, 2012

Circle Tour – Day 8 – July 20, 2012



Rainbow Falls to Pukaskwa National Park



Yesterday we found out our neighbors at the campsite were pipers on their way to a Celtic festival in Thunder Bay. Would we mind if they practiced their bagpipes? Wonderful we told them and pointed out a great rock jutting out into the lake and suggested they sit there, but watch out for the silkies. In fact, between my performance and their schedule we never heard them. I wish we had.

When I first set up the tour, I thought I would be telling in the Schreiber library, but instead it became a festival performance, part of the Schreiber Heritage Days.

Would I be willing to do an outside performance. I gave a firm “No!”

Festivals are great for folk singers and pipers. Audience members wander by, stay for a while and move on. This doesn't work for storytellers who need their audiences to be there at the beginning of the stories and stay until the end. A tent works better than the open air but best is a room somewhere.

We agreed that I would tell at the Schreiber Recreation Center and that is where we went. I found out later that the frantic librarian had sent me a message to tell me that an important Italian resident had died and the funeral reception was at the recreation center. When we arrived there were dozens of men in black suits coming out the door and one worried looking librarian.

My performance would be at the hockey arena next door. This was a first for me!

I was now supposed to tell stories in a narrow space in front of bleachers. I gave a firm “No!”

I explained that I have been doing this for thirty years and experienced everything (except a hockey arena). When a pre-schooler sits on bleachers he/she cannot help kicked at the wood beneath making a lovely drumming sound. Multiply that by two dozen pre-schoolers and even bagpipes can't be heard. This is fine at a hockey match but not at a storytelling performance. I spotted a space in a corner. There was a rug there, dirty but possible. The librarian found the last few chairs that hadn't been taken by the funeral party and we began.

In fact the performance went well and again, I am to e-mail next time I make the Circle.

****
We love the Canadian stories we hear. Marlene, a camper from New Brunswick, told me that when the Walmart opened, they closed all the businesses and schools and everybody went.

We've noticed all the workers at the provincial parks. I stopped to talk to two young people who were shoveling gravel and sand into holes on a park road. They were college students with summer jobs. Is the pay good? Only $10.50 an hour, the minimum wage in Canada. I told them the minimum wage in Wisconsin is $7.25 and Canadian money is worth more.

Doesn't it make sense for the government to hire more workers and pay them decent wages? Yet the US Congress keeps holding up the jobs program. People who earn money spend money, which is good for business. They pay taxes, too.

***
Gary packed up everything this morning and we are on the road. I say Gary because he's the one that brought an impossible amount of stuff. He thinks we have a dozen flashlights and at this time of year this far north the sun sets around 11:00. I went down to the shore to watch the waves fill the tide pools. Somebody has to make sure this is done correctly.

The temperatures are moderate during the day, almost cold at night. We are glad to be here and not suffering the Wisconsin heat.
***
Today Wade Peterson and I welcome a new writer to Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  Bettyann Moore is a former editor and publisher who has been writing short stories since the 1970s.  Her first Porpoise McAllister story will be on line about 4:00 p.m. 

***
For the next three nights we expect to be camping in a Canadian national park.  I may not be able to post but I will keep writing and get everything on line when I can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment