Sunday, May 13, 2012

Surprises

After three years of summer travel and illness, I finally have time to work on some serious weeding.   finished clearing the second gravel path today and found a few surprises.

I planted this area in 2006, according to my records, trying to establish ground cover between some rocks and boulders my neighbors the Moons gave me.  Some of the rocks were flat, so the gravel path ended in a stone path in front of a comfrey path.  I had forgotten that and it wasn't until I cleared the excess comfrey that I found the path.


In the middle of some wild phlox, I found something I had totally forgotten I had, painted ferns.  They are bedraggled, but I've opened up the area to give them a chance.

These coral bells were so covered with lamium, they had lost their red pigmentation.  They should recover in time to flower in June.  

Finally, for some reason I had planted low lying sweet woodruff way in the back of the rock garden, against a wooden fence.  They were hid by peonies, wild phlox, and ferns.  I thought I would have to dig them up, but no, they were starting to sneak under the peonies and spread to the edge of the path.  

I may still transplant some of the woodruff and move it to the terrace strip.  

Tomorrow, I go camping.  When I get back, I start working my way through a real jungle, a brick path that goes behind the gazebo.  


No comments:

Post a Comment