Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rummage

Today was the Seymour citywide rummage sale, with 75 sales on the map, and probably double that with people who decided to have sales on the spur of the moment.  

I set off early this morning to see what I could find.  Gary asked me to get a cup holder.  We accumulate more and more coffee and tea cups and instead of donating some of them to Goodwill, his solution is to get more places to hang them.  

I walked mile after mile, stopping at sale after sale, but I couldn't find anything worth buying.  This spring, I bought the jeans I needed at the Black Creek sales and some shirts at thrift shops.  There is only so much room in my closet and dresser, so I don't need extras.  The house is full of everything anyone could want.  

My only purchase for the entire day was a glass of lemonade by a child vendor for 25 cents. 

In the afternoon, I met Nikki, who was attending a workshop at the Muehl Public Library.  We had nachos at Kary's Mexican restaurant, then I took her around town to rummage.  I think by that time I had been at over thirty sales, so I knew where to steer her.  Her interest is in vintage kitchen gear so we went to Susan McMaster's sale.  Her Jim was a pack rat like Gary and there were plenty of antiques and collectibles around.  

Nikki zeroed in immediately on a Juice-a-matic, a metal juicer that must date back to the 1950's.  

At another sale, she found an old apron, but that was about it.  We came home to look at my gardens.  When she admired a banner I had hanging, I told her we had to go to the hardware store downtown where banners were a quarter each.  

She got four banners, but I will have to go back and get some more for her.  

And that was that.  No cup holder for Gary, nothing for me but a lot of exercise.     


1 comment: