Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ticks

After Gary and I came away from the Deer Ridge State Wildlife Area, we had wood ticks.  His first one made its presence know in the van before we got to the sturgeon camp. I picked it off him and threw it out the window.

At sturgeon camp Gary found a tick, and I found two.  We were tied.  Then while we were at sturgeon camp, Gary felt one crawling around when he was trying to nap.  When we came home I found one attached to my scalp and then we were tied three-three.  Gary is good at dispatching them usually by squishing them using thumb and fingernails.

I woke up that night to find one sticking on a thigh. That put me ahead in the tick department, but what do you do with a tick in the middle of the night. I pulled it off and knotted it up in a tissue. I wasn't going to wake Gary up.  I suppose the logical thing would have been to take it downstairs and slice and dice it with a knife, but I was tired.  I looked around for a place to store it.  There on my bed stand was a jar candle.

I put that wood tick in the jar and forgot about it.  Today, it is still crawling around in there.  I suppose she is looking for either someone else to bite or a nice place to lay her eggs.  I have no idea.

For the time being, she will stay in there.  It's sort of like watching an ant farm.  Do I feel bad at leaving her in there?  Not really, if she comes out, she gets sliced and diced.  Execution or prison.  Those are her choices right now.  There are no ticks in my back yard and I want to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment