Friday, February 3, 2012

Tuna Casserole

Gary's mother always made tuna casserole with cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna, canned peas, noodles, topped  with potato chips. I expect she got the recipe from Campbell's soup.  Over the years, I've had that version and I never liked it.

I don't make tuna casserole that way.  I begin with a white sauce made with butter, flour, salt, pepper, and whole milk with onion cooked in.  The peas are usually frozen instead of canned, so they aren't mushy.  I like extra wide noodles...and lots and lots of tuna.  I always covered the dish with ground up cereal or bread crumbs, preferably a whole grain.

Gary used to ask me to make it with mushroom soup but he's come to prefer my version, even to ask for it. (Though he still teases me by asking for mushroom soup.)

Tonight, I cooked tuna casserole again.  I used a stick of real butter.  Is there a better smell than onions fried in butter?  I whipped the flour and milk into a sauce until it was nice and smooth, then added it to the rest of the ingredients. Baking it took over an hour, but I served my casserole with its rich sauce, tuna, mushrooms, peas....the whole works, topped with....potato chips.

Well, we all have to make compromises in our relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment