Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Timing

When Gary moved here,  I had been living alone for over a decade. I wondered if the two of us would get along in this little house.  Mostly I feared that I would never find enough time to do my work. That proved to be unfounded. 

Gary is a night owl.  He goes to bed long after midnight and doesn't wake up until some time around 9:00 a.m. 
I am just the opposite.  I am in bed at 10:00 p.m. at the latest and up by 5:30 a.m., some mornings even earlier.  I only need seven hours of sleep.  

Those morning hours are precious to me.  That's when I work on short stories or my novel.  Three solid hours in front of the computer is enough for me.  Later in the day, I work on storytelling projects.  Gary and I are thinking of taking the Circle Tour drive around Lake Superior next summer, visiting friends in the Thunder Bay area. I will be trying to pick up some performances at libraries and nursing homes to pay for the gas, so I am spending several hours a day working on that. It doesn't need the concentration writing requires, so there, too, I get quite a bit done.  Giving up volunteer work helps, too.  

I often take an hour's nap in the afternoon.  During that time, Gary is free to work on his own projects, plus he usually has three hours on his own after I go to bed. 

We each have the time we need to get things done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment