Friday, December 16, 2011

An Evening with Evan

I love eating out and going to a movie, especially when it is Chris and Tisha who do that, because then I get to sit with Evan, my grandson.  Gary drove me here to Appleton then went off to do some errands.

Chris and Tisha went off for their evening out after giving me all the necessary instructions.  Tonight was a special treat because Evan doesn't have school tomorrow.  We could play an hour and a half longer.

After he ate his supper, he played a Disney game.  These things amaze me, because by making the proper motions, he could ski with Goofy, throw snowballs at yetis, fly with Peter Pan, have a sword fight with Captain Hook or go down the rabbit hole like Alice in Wonderland. It was good exercise as he wiggled and waggled his arms and legs.  When each segment of the game was done, the system took a photo of him and showed it on the screen.

While he was doing that, I was playing with the new toy Chris found for me, a used Nook, the book reader from Barnes and Noble.  I still don't know how to use it, but will check on line when I get home then go to the Muehl Public Library tomorrow to find out how to download books.  I've wanted a Nook or Kindle for several years now.

An hour later Gary was here.  He became the caller for "Vowel Bingo", a game Evan brought home from school.  I won one game, Evan won the next.  Then it was reading time.  Evan read a book about Christmas to us.  He is an excellent reader for a six year old and only needed a little help on some words.

He changed to his PJs, brushed his teeth, took his medicine and vitamins.  Time for bed but first Gary asked him to show us how to use the rather complicated remote control.  Evan quickly switched the television on and went to "live TV" but then we ran into problems because it kept going back to "Star Wars, Part II".  This was suspicious because Evan loves Star Wars.

We finally decided we would not have television tonight.

Then came my favorite part of babysitting.  Evan sat on my lap while I read him three books.  There is nothing sweeter than a little boy hugging his grandmother as he hears his favorite books.

I chanted our little night time ritual.  "Love you, love you, love you.  See you tomorrow, see you tomorrow.  Night, night, night, night, night."  

"But I won't see you tomorrow," he objected

"Yes you will," I said and explained that tomorrow is Los Posadas at the Methodist Church in Seymour. "You get to whack away at the pinata."

Evan immediately made plans to catch more candy than anyone else.  "But then I'll share," he promised.

And off he went to dreamland.  

No comments:

Post a Comment