Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday Morning Music

We had a fine turnout at choir practice this morning, a half dozen people eager to pick out music.  We worked out what our anthems will be all the way into December and agreed upon an Advent Concert.  If we weren't sure about the selections (we have four four-drawer filing cabinets with music) I played through them. If we didn't like the melody, we rejected a song right then and there.  

Then during the church service, Deb Marsh and I played duets for the hymns, offertory and communion.  She does the melody on the organ and I do what I can only describe as fooling around on the piano.  I usually do arpeggios, but sometimes throw in a waltz or march beat.

We began doing this when the pastor picked out songs the congregation didn't know.  I played the melody line loudly so everyone could follow. People seemed to enjoy this so much we expanded to all the hymns, even the old time songs everyone knew.

It doesn't take any practice.  We consult ten minutes before the service, jot down the numbers of the hymns and we're off and running.  

The United Methodists love music, so I seem to be in the right church.

No comments:

Post a Comment