Monday, September 12, 2011

Bargains and Books

It's been a summer of bargains, mostly at thrift shops. In the past month, I've bought three swimsuits for 10 cents, a Columbia summer raincoat for 50 cents, a leather purse perfect for my needs for $1.50, shorts, sweaters, and tee-shirts, usually for 25 cents each.

This past week I found a photo scrapbook at a St. Vincent de Paul in Bessemer, Michigan. It's the same kind I've used for the past 35 years to document my life.  I fill one each New Year's Eve. (This year there will be two with all the traveling I've done.)  There are 41 of these scrapbooks so far.. But now the places I used to purchase them no longer carry them as we enter the digital age.   People store their photos on CDs, not in scrapbooks.  I still like turning pages with photos neatly labeled, so two dollars was a good price.

On Saturday, Chris, Tisha and Evan came to Seymour for our citywide rummage sale.  One would expect to find more bargains when there were over 100 sales going on, but these vendors were out to make money, so the prices were higher than I was willing to pay.   I came home with only one good purchase, a sleeveless shirt.

We had fun looking though, and Tisha found dozens of good books for Evan. That little boy has two overflowing bookcases. His mommy reads to him every night and now he is moving from picture books to chapter books.   He is reading for himself these days, too.

That makes his grandmother happier than any bargains she can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment