Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Facebook or not to Facebook

I am on Facebook, but I keep wondering why.  I found it annoying on my trip west, trying to keep up with the postings in the brief time I had wi fi access.

I am not a very social being...or at least not a very female social being.  I do my best to avoid baby and wedding showers, weddings and funerals. I don't make polite conversation. I am not interested in the Green Bay Packers or Milwaukee Brewers.

I say what's on my mind.  I can be really cutting when I want to be and I often want to be.  I like talking politics or literature, but there's very little of that on Facebook. Mostly it is silly games, what everyone is doing that day, baby photos, religious thoughts and songs and videos I am supposed to download.  

I've considered dropping out entirely.  However, Gary pointed out that I don't have to read all that stuff.  He reads the first recent postings and ignores the rest.

Susan, in Ohio, says that I should think of Facebook as a way of avoiding actual social obligations.  A quick e-mail happy birthday is easier than a birthday card.  "Go Packers" is sufficient for sports fanatics. I don't have to actually watch a game.   "Precious" "Adorable" or "Cute" works for baby pictures without attending a shower or children's birthday party.  She may be right in this.

So for the time being, I stay on Facebook.  

For the next week, I won't be reading any of it at all while we are at the Laura Lake campground.   I will likely miss a blog or two as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment