Thursday, August 4, 2011

Campgrounds - Part 5

Gary always tells me that if I have some money, I should never say the amount out loud, because the gods are listening and will sock it to me.

So when I said I had made a $400 profit on my tour, I should have kept my mouth shut.  Today my car had repairs. The bill was $998.00.   So though I am likely to make more from this trip, I will not mention profits in this blog any more.

But back to the campgrounds.  As time went on, I sometimes neglected to take photos of each place, however this campground on the Rogue River near Gold Beach, Oregon, was a particularly pleasant place.  I spent a little part of the morning wandering along the river looking for agates, but had no success, yet I am told others find plenty in that spot.  


Up the fabulous Oregon coast, I camped at Cape Perpetua in a site that looked and felt like a jungle.  Later I explored the shore.  By now I wanted to stay in Oregon forever and ever.

Then after a day of being lost, I found a sweet campsite at the Lazy River Campground in the Mt Hood National Forest near Escatada, Oregon.  This was one of two campgrounds where the host suggested to me that the corporation that managed the campgrounds really preferred cash to checks.  I thought how easy it would be for the campground hosts to skim.  I always wrote out checks.   


This sites were a real hodgepodge with people camping in big groups willy-nilly.  My site was reserved for the next two weeks but starting the following night. I only needed it for one night, so no problem.  Reservations in the national forests are relatively a new phenomenon, one I don't much care for.  I liked the free and easy old days.  

The next night found me in Pomeroy, Washington at the Garfield County Fairgrounds.  Workers constructing power lines leading to the state's fields of enormous wind turbines were staying there, donating whatever they could, living in tents, cars, or campers.  They were the new migrant workers, going wherever stimulus money was being spent.   The fairgrounds were a fine place to stay, even including a good shower. 


An added bonus was the farm machinery museum on the grounds.  The building was closed while I was there but there were plenty other machines outside that were interesting, especially the Case tractors that were like the ones I drove on the farm when I was a kid.  

Now I was heading east and the next day would find me in Montana once again.   




No comments:

Post a Comment