Monday, April 4, 2011

The Refuge

Tim Meier recommended I read Refuge: an Unnatural History of Family and Place, by Terry Tempest Williams.  He said her writing reminds him of mine  and I am flattered if it is so. I got the book through interlibrary loan but will look for my own copy at the Appleton library book sale in May.

The book is about Mormonism, fallout from the atomic bomb tests of the 1950s, cancer, the rising and falling of the Great Salt Lake, and the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge.  I am enchanted with the author's writing, but more than that, I am very curious about the Refuge, on the northeast part of the Lake.  At the back of the book there's a list of birds associated with the Great Salt Lake.  I've seen most of the birds on the list at one time or another, but there are others I've never seen.

So it is imperative that I take along a good pair of binoculars and my copy of Sibley's Birds of North America.  I'll look around the used bookstores when I get to Salt Lake City to see if I can find more books on birding the area.

I figure on camping at Anderson Cove in the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, only a short drive to the refuge.  Funny how a trip falls together.

No comments:

Post a Comment