Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Another Change

This afternoon I had a call from the librarian in Salt Lake City who told me that the branches were participating in another program on the day I would have been there so they would have to cancel.

I was delighted because that gives me another day at the Bear Creek Migratory Bird Refuge that I wrote about yesterday.  

It also keeps me out of a big city.  I actually prefer small towns, the kind of place where I can stick my head out the car window and yell, "Where's the library?" and everyone knows.  No one way streets that lead me farther and farther away from my destination.  Little mom and pop restaurants where I can find out the local gossip and flavor.  Trails that take me out into the wilderness.

Salt Lake City is no doubt a great city, with historic buildings and shopping,  but I know I will enjoy the birds that Terry Tempest Williams describes in her book Refuge.  I guess I will pass on the Mormon Tabernacle this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment