Thursday, April 28, 2011

Plans for Tomorrow

Tomorrow is that royal wedding thing.   Some of my friends are getting up early to watch the ceremony.

Tomorrow is the week of the annual sturgeon guard.  Gary and I are getting up early to watch our fishy friends.

I like to participate in history.  A few weeks ago,  I went to Madison to circle the capitol chanting.  I lived in Chicago during the Democratic National Convention in 1968.  The hippies, yippies and protests were something else. If I were in London in Westminster Abbey, I would enjoy the wedding firsthand, but watching television is not the real thing.

When the Twin Towers went down in 2001, I went outside and began transplanting irises and planting bulbs.   I continued working in my garden that whole week as everyone else in the neighborhood watched the catastrophe over and over.   In the end, they had essentially shell shocked themselves to the point that 911 was used to sway them as voters in the next elections.  Me, I have a garden of perennials that come back each summer. I think that is a better way to remember the tragedy.

When Princess Diana died and the funeral followed, Gary and I went camping.  While people were watching television, we were hiking in autumn sunshine in Door County.  The usually busy campground was quiet.  The entire funeral can be found on the internet if I ever decide to watch it.

Tomorrow, the sun should shine, the temperatures moderate.  We'll ask for a quiet guarding place where we can do some bird watching.  We'll take lawn chairs and books to read. We'll get a start on our summer tans.  This is what we do on beautiful spring days. After days of rain, that is appealing.

The entire Windsor wedding will be replayed on Friday night if we choose to watch it.  But we probably won't.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment