Friday, April 15, 2011

The Pasque Flower


Just in time, the Pasque (or Easter) flower is blooming in my back yard.

Gary, who is a botanist, had his doubts about it because it didn't fit the description in his wildflower book and though I remembered planting it, I couldn't remember where it came from.  Was it from a greenhouse with exotic plants that is now defunct?  Was it from Dan, the city's handman/gardener/birder?  Was it from Lois, who often gave me plants? She died last year so I couldn't ask her.  Finally, I thought about Kim, the librarian who likes rare species.

We stopped at the library where she was working this afternoon.  Yes, she said, that's a pasque flower and she gave me a plant two or three years ago. She is jealous.  Her garden in the country is not as well protected as mine, so her pasque flower is not yet blooming.  

This Easter flower grows wild in South Dakota so is the state flower there.   It is a species that grows well in the tundra so it does well in cold weather.

I was delighted to see yet another flower to join the others.  The hyacinths started to bloom today and by tomorrow, there will be daffodils.  It is cold and windy here in Seymour, but spring pushes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment