Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tax Time

While I enjoy the traveling life, I must always remember that this is a business. Someone in the arts has to keep pristine records.  Years ago, my accountant gave me a list of things that a traveling performer/writer could deduct.  As I worked through my tax records today, I thought about the past year and what 2011 will bring.

I can total my miles, not so many in 2010, but in 2011 I can expect to travel close to 10,000 miles. I keep all gas and motel bills, marking each off on a form for each day  I travel.

I can deduct part of my cell phone, land phone, and internet.  Since my office, one of seven rooms, is dedicated to my craft, I deduct one-seventh of the costs of the utility bills.  It goes without saying that printer ink and postage are listed in my reports to my accountant. 

By this afternoon, I finished compiling my records.  As I forwarded them to my accountant for tax preparation, I  was satisfied with the day's achievement.    


No comments:

Post a Comment