Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Lousy Trip

This morning, I began work on my next e-book, the story of my trip to China.  I enjoy most of my trips, but that one was a disaster.

I went to China to teach English to middle school children at a summer camp.  It was a state run program, as all of them are.  Part of the payment was a tour that took us from Inner Mongolia to Beijing.  Every step of the way was strictly regimented.  No matter what happened we had to stick to the itinerary, if it meant we ate dinner at 11:00 pm or had to get up at 4:00 am.

This was my first and last organized tour.  I like the freedom of going off the beaten track to make new discoveries and friends.  In China, we were herded cattle, never allowed to go off on our own.  I treasured every moment away from the group.  I made a point of "getting lost."  Those times I escaped were the best moments of the trip.  

This book will be an illustration of what can go wrong on a journey.  But cheer up, the next book will be about New Zealand and everything that went gloriously right.

No comments:

Post a Comment