Friday, June 14, 2013

Things to Write About

I've been writing this daily blog since 2010.  Folks ask if I ever run out of things to write.  So far, no. There is always something going on or something I've been thinking about.

Today, I returned to Laura Lake.  Gary had been busy while I was gone. My office now has a book shelf for my paperwork, journals and books.  This cleared the desk for my computer. The whole system is more workable. The wi fi signal is strong enough to reach in here so I can close the door and get busy.

I posted "Four Old Farts" at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com before I left Seymour but when I arrived here at the campground I found that Betty had edited the copy I sent her and had sent me the corrections.With my new office system, it was easy enough to take out the errors and re-post.

The story came from some old timers Gary and I keep running into in the Upper Peninsula.  (When I say old timers, it only means that they are even older than we younger old timers.)  We've been observing these guys for over four years so when it came time to write the story.....it wrote itself in about an hour.

Other news from Laura Lake:  with school out and the weather improving, the campground is getting busy. So far eighteen of the forty-one campsites are filled.  There were five canoes and two kayaks on the lake this evening which is pretty darn busy. I hope they stay away from the loons' nest.

One visitor is certainly not welcome.  The Gaulkes on site 1 have been plagued by a porcupine.  He nestles under the end of their big RV, the end being their bedroom. Porcupines mutter to themselves, sounding almost human, which is unnerving in the middle of the night.  They can also be destructive.  He's been chewing on the door frames of the outhouses, also unnerving if one wants to use those facilities.

No one is trying to start a porcupine hunting season using dogs but on Wednesday night, the National Forest expert will be here to try to trap the porkie and move him to a better location.  Gary wants to stay and help so we will be here at the campground until Thursday. You can be sure I will available to take notes for my readers.

Run out of ideas?  Never.

----
At 8:00 pm, Gary and I walked over to Site 1.  The Gaulkes were not there, but Gary heard an unusual sound, and when we investigated, there was Porkie, gnawing on the frame of the outhouse.  Gary gave him a stern talking to saying "You're only going to get yourself in trouble", at which time Porkie went up a tree.
Yes, something is always going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment