Friday, August 10, 2012

On the Trail...or on the Beach

I came to Lost Lake yesterday to join Gary at campsite no. 23, our favorite. There were three campsites filled when I arrived, then eight by nightfall. Today is the beginning of the weekend and eighteen of the twenty seven campsites are filled.

Most of the campers are behaving themselves though some people from Illinois seem to be spending their day target shooting at beer cans with air guns.  We hope no chipmunks, songbirds, dogs or children become more interesting targets.

My usual way to avoid all the noise is to take my hiking stick and head off down a trail. Most of the campers amuse themselves at the beach or sitting on lawn chairs in front of fires downing beverages and eating junk food.  I almost never see anyone on the trail.

I was ambling along when a boy came tearing down the trail toward me.  He was perhaps nine or ten, with a shock of black hair, a red shitr, shorts and dirty shoes. He seemed terrified.

"Did you find something on the trail?"  I asked.

"I was going around the lake and the trail went into the woods."

"That's just the marsh.  You get back to the lake eventually."

I took him with me and showed him the way.  A woodpecker was working the old hemlock trees and I pointed it out.  "That's a black backed woodpecker.  You don't see them anywhere but here."  The boy didn't know that there were so many kinds of woodpeckers.

When we came to a part where the trail narrows, I told him I almost stepped on a porcupine there.  He had never seen a porcupine, so that interested him.  He had seen a bear when his family drove down the Lost Lake Road on their way to the cabins.

We got around the swamp and when the trail took us back to the lake, I told him he could run to the cabins where his parents were waiting for him.  "Don't wait for me, I'm taking it easy."

He ran on and I reflected that for once I had enjoyed the company of someone else on the trail.

Meanwhile, Gary was doing what he does best which is catching the sun next to the lake.
***
Bettyann Moore has added another Porpoise McAllister story to Black Coffee Fiction. http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  This time she tells us the beginning of the Porpoise saga. It really should be read because it explains so much about Porpoise.

***
I asked for comments a while back, got none, and finally one of my readers told me that she couldn't make any because the blog wouldn't let her.  I checked our settings and found out she was right.  I've made corrections so fire away.

No comments:

Post a Comment