Monday, April 18, 2011

Lifeguards

The lifeguards at the aquatic center are an interesting bunch of kids. Because I select odd hours, I am often the only person in the water.   While I do aerobic exercises to work out kinks in my knee I chat with the guards.  Exercise is boring but conversation makes it less so.  Some of them are still in high school.  I know many of their teachers so we talk about their classes.  We talk about their college plans and I give them tips about applying for universities and scholarships.

Others are already in college.  With one, I discuss economic theory, with another philosophy.  How amusing to discuss Aristotle or Hegel while I am paddling in a pool!  Politics are a rousing topic.  Some know exactly where they are going, others are still searching out paths.

I tell them about my work in the forests, trying to get them to explore nature, to have experiences  beyond what a small town can offer.  This week, I told them about the work of the International Crane Foundation in Baraboo who are bringing the whooping crane back from extinction.   Maybe in another year, I'll convince one or two of them to join me on a crane count.

One of them wants to be a writer.  We have that in common.  Most of them want to travel.

What adventures lie ahead if they open their minds to the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment